Three tips to lower your energy bill!
The leaves are coloured, the wind is cool, the days are getting shorter … no doubt, Fall has indeed arrived in Quebec! Discover our tips to keep your home warm for less.
Opt for a smart thermostat
… And you can also save up to 10% on your energy consumption, compared to using a conventional thermostat. Plus, Énergir offers up to $100 in subsidies when you buy a smart thermostat.
Use less hot water
You can enjoy a nice hot shower, and lower your energy consumption at the same time! For instance, with every five-minute shower using an efficient showerhead, you reduce your hot water consumption by about eighteen litres or 12% of a forty-gallon hot water tank.
Ensure your natural gas appliances are properly maintained
Annual maintenance performed by a qualified professional will help maintain your appliances’ efficiency and prevent energy loss. Here are a few steps you can do yourself:
Hot air heater
- Wash or change the air filters during the cold season.
- Clean the air vents at the front of the unit to prevent dust from clogging the burner.
- Use latex sealants to seal hot air leaks at duct joints.
- Bleed the radiators at the beginning of the season to eliminate air build-up in the system.
- Vacuum the radiator fins regularly for better air circulation.
Hot water tank
- Make sure the temperature is at its optimal level, sixty degrees celsius.
- Insulate the hot water pipes, especially those located in unheated areas.
- Install flow reducers.
With these tips, you have everything in hand to save money during the cold season, without sacrificing the comfort of your home!